In this platform we are trying to present public information in a more easily understood format and to make it easier for you to submit information or pictures that help us understand your concerns. Please explore the platform and share with us your ideas about how we can develop this site and improve public services for you.
In this part of the platform we aim to provide topical information about subjects on which 1823 frequently gets calls. We aim to provide information that helps you understand the subject more fully. We aim to help you make enquiries, reports or complaints through easy-to-use forms that allow you to link to maps and upload pictures, helping us to understand and address your concerns better. We also welcome your ideas on how we can develop this site further and help improve services for you.
To help give the right answer for you, we may need to ask for some information from you. Please select the answer that applies to you when the screen below asks you to make a choice. You may click on the question if you need to start over.
With effect from 1 April 2013, the Social Welfare Department (SWD) introduces the Old Age Living Allowance (OALA) under existing Social Security Allowance (SSA) Scheme, as to supplement the living expenses of elderly Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above who are in need of financial support. From 1 February 2016 onwards, eligible elderly persons will receive a monthly allowance of $2,495.
An applicant is eligible for the OALA if he/she:
1. is aged 65 or above;
2. meets the following residence requirements:
3. continues to reside in Hong Kong during receipt of OALA ( Please click here for information on the permissible limit of absence from Hong Kong).
4. is not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or Comprehensive Social Security Assistance;
5. is not under detention or imprisonment; and
6. is having an income and assets not exceeding the prescribed limits as below:
Please click here for the application procedures of OALA and payment arrangement.
For other enquiries, please click here or call the SWD OALA hotline 3595 0130, 24-hour hotline of OALA 3142 2202, or SWD hotline 2343 2255.