How to apply for holding the ashes of the deceased in a niche managed by Food and Environmental Hygiene Department?Food and Environmental Hygiene Department
Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) manages niches at the following locations：
* Niches at Cheung Chau Columbarium are only available for indigenous villagers, or bona fide residents of Cheung Chau for a continuous residing period of not less than 10 years, or their minor children. Niches at other columbaria in Islands District are only available for indigenous villagers of the Islands District, or bona fide residents of the District for a continuous residing period of at least 7 years, or their minor children. The applicant must produce a certificate from the respective rural committee to certify that the deceased was an indigenous villager, a local resident or a minor child of such person of the island concerned. “Continuous residing period” means the period that the deceased continuously resided on the island concerned right before his/her death.
Criteria to deposit ashes of the deceased in FEHD’s columbaria:
The ashes of the deceased can be deposited in niches at FEHD's columbaria if the deceased falls into one the following categories:
- who was a resident of Hong Kong at the time of his death and whose remains were cremated in a FEHD crematorium within three months after his death; or
- who was a resident of Hong Kong for a period of at least ten years during the period of twenty years immediately preceding his death and whose remains were cremated outside Hong Kong; or
- whose remains are lawfully exhumed and cremated at a FEHD crematorium.
Application to deposit ashes of the deceased in FEHD’s Columbaria:
From 26 April 2019 onwards, FEHD has ceased to receive applications for reused public niches and froze the existing waiting list for reused niches. The applicants in the waiting list could still wait for the reused niches and also apply for the new extendable niches. Please click here for the waiting time for allocation of reused niches.
New niche(s) will be available for purchase only during the period announced by FEHD. Public may refer to the related public notice in FEHD’s website for details on the selling of new niches. FEHD will announce application details in the public notice when new niches are available for purchasing.
Citizens may also consider to placing additional urn(s) in existing FEHD niches owned by them.
Types of niches available at the columbaria of FEHD:
- Standard niche: with capacity for two urns for holding the ashes of two deceased persons with kinship.
- Large niche: with capacity for four urns for holding the ashes of four deceased persons with kinship.
Kinship generally refers to the spouse, parent, brother, sister, parent-in-law, daughter-in law or son-in-law, or a direct descendant of either the paternal or maternal line of the deceased person whose ashes were the first to be kept in the niche. FEHD has since January 2014 removed the cap on the number of sets of cremated ashes that may be placed in a public niche.
The application procedures for a used niche and deposit of additional ashes in a niche are the same. The details are as follows:
Application procedures for allocation of a niche (for new niche at outlying islands only) and deposit of additional ashes in a niche
The following documents should be submitted (if appropriate):
The applicant must be the original permittee of the niche, however：
Applicant / the authorised person can submit in person the completed application form to the Cemeteries and Crematoria Offices of FEHD.