What kinds of building works are subject to the control under the Minor Work Control System?Buildings Department
The Minor Works Control System (MWCS) has been fully implemented on 31 December 2010. Under the new system, the carrying out of the 126 minor building works in private buildings* under Schedule 1 of the Building (Minor Works) Regulation can be commenced through the Simplified Requirements without the need to obtain prior approval of plans and consent in writing for the commencement of the works from the Buildings Department (BD). However, Prescribed Building Professionals (PBP)/Prescribed Registered Contractors (PRC) must be appointed to carry out the minor works. BD keeps separate registers of the professionals and the registers have been uploaded to the BD’s website for reference.
Minor works are classified into three classes according to their nature, scale and complexity and the risk to safety they posed. Procedures for carrying out the three classes of Minor Works are different. Please click for the details of Types of Minor Works and Procedures for carrying out the Minor Works under simplified requirements.
For works of which their complexity and risk to safety are relatively low, if the works are exempted works under the Buildings Ordinance, the works can be commenced without BD's prior approval and consent. It is also not necessary to appoint authorized persons and registered contractors to carry out such works. Such exempted works include common household renovation works, such as painting, internal rendering/plastering/wall paper works and removal of internal non-load bearing walls; as well as the 15 items of 'Designated Exempted Works' introduced under the Minor Works Control System.
“Designated Exempted Works” under the “Minor Work Control System” include:-
- Formation/reinstatement of small slab openings
- Replacement/removal of glass reinforced polyester water tanks having capacity of not more than 9 m 3
- Removal of solid fence walls of height not more than 1.1 m and external mesh fences of height not more than 3 m
- Laying/repair/removal of external rendering/external wall tiles at a height not more than 3 m above ground and roof tiles on roof of gradient not more than 1 in 4
- Erection/alteration/repair/removal of metal gates at fence walls or at the entrance of buildings with the weight of each leaf not more than 100 kg and the height of the gate not more than 2.2 m
- Excavation works of a depth of not more than 0.3 m
- Erection/alteration of signboard with projection not more than 150 mm from the external wall and at a height not more than 3 m above ground
- Removal of signboards with projection not more than 600 mm from the external wall and at a height not more than 3 m above ground
- Removal of supporting structures of height not more than 1 m high rested on ground or on a slab for air-conditioning units/water cooling towers/solar water heating systems/photovoltaic systems
- Erection/alteration/removal of supporting structures for air-conditioning units and associated air ducts projecting from the external wall of building at a height not more than 3m above ground (the supporting structures do not project over any street or common part of the building)
- Erection/alteration/removal of canopies at a height not more than 3m above ground (the canopies do not project over any street or common part of the building)
- Erection/alteration/removal of drying racks at a height not more than 3m above ground (the racks do not project over any street or common part of the building)
*includes flats sold through the Private Sector Participation Scheme and flats sole by the Housing Society but New Territories exempted houses are excluded