What is the eligibility criteria of Senior Citizen Card? How to apply?
The Senior Citizen Card issued by the Social Welfare Department provides a generally recognized proof of age to elders so as to facilitate their access to concessions, discounts or priority services offered by Government departments, public companies, private and commercial establishments.
Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above are eligible for the Card.
- Application form
- Documents required
- Validity period and charges
- Application channels
- Processing time
- Replacement of the Senior Citizen Card
Applicants have to submit the following documents：
- A completed application form;
- A recent full-faced photograph without a hat/cap (the size is about 38 x 50mm and with name written at the back); and
- HK Smart Identity Card [please provide copy of HK Smart Identity Card for application by post].
There is no validity period for the Senior Citizen Card and the card is not necessary to be renewed every year. Issue of the first card is free.
Applicants can submit the completed application form and required documents to the Senior Citizen Card Office by the following channels：
- Application by mail (The applicant can submit his application 60 days prior to the attainment of the age of 65. If the applicant sends the application more than 60 days prior to the attainment of the age of 65, the application will be returned.); or
- Apply in person: Submit by the applicant or his representative (the applicant can submit his application by the time he reaches the age of 65).
- Online Application (Applicant can submit the electronic application form, recent photo and copy of HK Smart Identity Card online), details please refer to Points to Note for Online Application
Social Welfare Department Senior Citizen Card Office
Address: Room 2204, 22/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8:45am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 6:00pm. Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Telephone no.: 3583 2959
- Application by mail
- The Card will be issued to the applicant by mail within 7 working days after receiving the application (or after the date when the applicant is eligible, whichever the later date).
- Apply in person
- The application can be processed on the same day and the Card can be issued at once.
- Online Application
- The Card will be issued to the applicant by mail within 7 working days after receiving the application.
- Only application by mail or apply in person are available for replacement and a fee of $22 will be charged.
- If applying for replacement by mail, the replacement fee can be mailed to the Senior Citizen Card Office by crossed cheque/cashier order (payable to "The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region").