Skip to main content

How to apply for a certificate to operate a pleasure vessel?

Marine Department

According to the Merchant Shipping (Local Vessels) (Certification and Licensing) Regulation, the following types of vessels shall not be underway unless a person who is a holder of appropriate certificate is on board in charge of the vessel –

  • Class IV vessels (i.e. auxiliary powered yacht / cruises / open cruises); or
  • Ancillary vessels of a Class IV vessel;

which are more than 3 metres in length overall, or are fitted with engines of more than 3 kilowatts total propulsion power.

Appropriate certificate refers to -

  1. A local certificate of competency as a pleasure vessel operator; or
  2. Equivalent certificate as specified in the Local Certificate of Competency Rules.

Persons who wish to apply for a local certificate of competency as a pleasure vessel operator must be at least 18 years of age, and pass the relevant examinations. For details of application and examinations, please call the Marine Department (Tel: 2852 4941), or browse the website of the Marine Department, please click here.

Last update: 4 Sep 2019
Want to learn more?