Skip to main content

How to register as an electrical worker or change the registered grade of electrical work application?

Electrical and Mechanical Services Department



According to the Electricity Ordinance, all workers engaged in electrical work in relation to the installation, commissioning, inspection, testing, maintenance, modification or repair of a low-voltage or high-voltage fixed electrical installation, and the supervision and certification of the work and the design of the installation, must be registered with the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD).  Examples of fixed electrical installations are distribution boards, wiring installations, switches, socket outlets, lighting fittings and any electrical appliance that receives power from other than a socket outlet.

Persons engaged in work on portable electrical appliances, such as table lamps, television sets and refrigerators, etc., need not be registered.

Application procedures for new application to register as an electrical worker/change of registered grade of electrical work application 

To be qualified as a registered electrical worker, an applicant must possess appropriate qualifications, training and experience before making an application to EMSD. Registered electrical workers may also apply for changing the grade of electrical work in accordance with their qualification, experience and practical needs.

The application procedures for new application and change of registered grade of electrical work are similar. Please see below for details -


Supporting documents

  1. Copy of Hong Kong Identity Card/travel document;
  2. Copy of documentary proofs for all academic qualification, training/apprenticeship that are relevant to this application;
  3. Copy of documentary proofs for working experience in the field of electrical engineering that are relevant to this application. Documentary proof of electrical work experience should clearly show the details of electrical work carried out by the applicant. For detail sample, please click here (PDF); and
  4. A recent colour photograph with plain white background.

If an application is made in person, the applicant/agent should produce the original of the documents listed in (1) to (3) for checking.
If an application is made by post, through drop-in box or through the Internet, the applicant is required to submit a copy of the Hong Kong Identity Card.  Also, EMSD will require the applicant/agent to visit the EMSD Customer Services Office to check the document originals.


The application fee is $475. The paid application fee will not be refunded regardless of the result of application.

Means of submission

  • In person to the EMSD Customer Service Offices, or drop the application into the drop-in box located in EMSD HQs
  • By post to the EMSD Customer Services Offices
  • Online submission (Password and personal digital certificate are required)

Electrical and Mechanical Services Department Customer Services Offices
Address: G/F, Electrical and Mechanical Services Department Headquarters, 3 Kai Shing Street, Kowloon Bay
Office hours:

  • Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:15 pm (open during lunch hours), Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays closed
  • Saturday 8:30am to 12:30pm (drop-in box located at G/F lobby only)

Payment method

  • In person: Cash, crossed cheque, draft, cashier orders
  • By post/drop-in box: Crossed cheque, draft, cashier orders
  • Online application: PPS, online banking payment, general demand note, crossed cheque, draft, cashier orders

(Cheques, Draft and Cashier Orders should be made payable to 'The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region' and crossed. If an application is made online, please send the crossed cheque, draft, cashier orders to EMSD by post.)


3 years

Processing time

About 13 working days upon receipt of all the required documents and application fee

How to collect the certificate

  • New application: Through registered mail to the correspondence address of the applicant
  • Change of grade of electrical work: The applicant is required to collect the new certificate in person at EMSD and return the old certificate


In case of inclement weather or service adjustments due to special circumstances, the opening hours may be changed. Please refer to the departmental website and the latest press releases.

Do you find this information useful?
Is the information sufficient?
Is it easy to get the information you want?
Other comments (Please do not provide personal data):
Last update: 5 Sep 2022
Want to learn more?

1823 Chatbot can help you find frequently asked questions!