Skip to main content

How to compensate the Government for damage to traffic facilities due to traffic accident?

Highways Department

Traffic facilities on public roads, e.g. lamp posts, railings and street signs, are Government properties and are generally maintained by the Highways Department. If traffic facilities are damaged in traffic accidents, the Government may make civil claims under common law to recover the losses from the accountable persons.


In general, the Hong Kong Police Force is responsible for traffic accident investigation and prosecution. After receiving the investigation report from the Police Force, staff of the Highways Department will conduct site inspection to determine the scope of the required repair works. The Highways Department will then issue a demand note to the accountable persons to recover the losses, which comprise the cost of the repair works as per the maintenance contract, and other expenditures such as departmental administrative fees and charges for Road Excavation Permit.

Do you find this information useful?
Is the information sufficient?
Is it easy to get the information you want?
Other comments (Please do not provide personal data):
Last update: 2 Feb 2024
Want to learn more?

I am 1823 Chatbot. Do you have any questions for me?