Skip to main content

How to make a request to the Rating and Valuation Department for review of the rateable value?

Rating and Valuation Department

In order to reflect the up-to-date rental values of the properties, The Rating and Valuation Department (RVD) conducts general revaluation annually. The new rateable values, effective from 1 April, will be included in the April to June quarterly rates and/or Government rent demand notes, and issued at the end of March or early April. The “Valuation List and Government Rent Roll” listing the new rateable values of all assessed properties, will also be available for searching free of charge between around mid-March and 31 May of the year from the “Property Information Online” website of the department.

Any ratepayer who is not satisfied with the rateable value of his or her property can lodge an objection.

  • For newly-built property assessed to rates for the first time
    Ratepayer is notified of the assessment by means of a “Notice of Interim Valuation” (Form R6). The ratepayer may lodge a formal objection to an interim valuation on a “Notice of Objection to an Interim Valuation” (Form e-R23A (e-form) or R23A (PDF)). Such an objection must be lodged within 28 DAYS after the service of the “Notice of Interim Valuation” (Form R6). 
  • For other properties already assessed to rates
    The ratepayer may object to the new rateable value following a revaluation in the form of a "proposal". He should complete a “ Proposal for Alteration of Valuation List or Government Rent Roll” (Form e-R20A (e-form) or R20A (PDF), only available in around mid-March until 31 May each year). The proposal must be submitted during the period when the “Valuation List and Government Rent Roll” is available for inspection between mid-March and May of the year in which the rateable value takes effect. The Commissioner has no discretion in accepting late submission of proposal. For those paying rates and Government rent together they only need to object against the rateable value for rates provided the rateable value for charging rates and Government rent is the same. However, if the rateable value for rent is different, they should object to both.

All objections will be carefully reviewed by the RVD. The RVD will issue a Notice of Decision. Even if an objection is lodged, rates and/or Government rent must be paid as demanded and late payments will be subject to a surcharge.

If the rateable value is amended after review, the alteration will be backdated to the relevant date the rateable value takes effect and adjustment to the rates and/or Government rent will be made in subsequent demand notes.

Do you find this information useful?
Is the information sufficient?
Is it easy to get the information you want?
Other comments (Please do not provide personal data):
Last update: 2 Nov 2023
Want to learn more?

Looking for information? 1823 Chatbot can help you find related FAQs!