How to reserve books/materials from public libraries? What is the charge?Leisure and Cultural Services Department
Holders of valid library cards issued by the Hong Kong Public Libraries, identity cards allowed for library purposes, or library cards/borrower's cards issued by the two former Municipal Council Public Libraries may borrow and return library materials at any public libraries in urban areas and the New Territories. Each registered reader may borrow a maximum of eight items of library books/materials together with accompanying library materials, or a maximum of sixteen items of back issues of periodicals.
If you find a book or material in the library catalogue, but fail to find it on the shelf, you may consider using the reservation service. Each registered reader can reserve a maximum of eight materials and the fee is HK$ 3.3 for each item (or the prevailing valid reservation fee at the time of collection). Please note that no reservation can be made to any reference materials, audio-visual library materials and materials not for loan.
Procedures to apply for reservation of library books/materials are as follows:
- A reader can choose one of the following methods to reserve library books/materials and the pick-up location. The reader should make sure that his/her registered postal/email address is correct before making reservation:
- Fill in the form LCS 112 in any library or mobile library;
- Use the Library Catalogue Terminal in the library;
- Use 24-Hour reservation service via Internet at http://www.hkpl.gov.hk (Please click here for instructions);
- Use the official mobile application (“My Library”) of Hong Kong Public Libraries (Please click here for details).
Please note that a confirmation statement will be shown on the screen if the hold request has been successfully placed. Reservation cannot be made if:
- a reader has already reserved eight books/materials; or
- the outstanding fines of the reader exceeds the limit (limit for adults: HK$130; limit for juniors: HK$25); or
- the book/material requested is a reference material, audio-visual library material and material not for loan.
- For any successful reservations made, the library will arrange to deliver the book/materials to the designated pick-up location as soon as possible. The duration depends on factors such as number of book copies, book status, transportation schedule among libraries etc. So it is not possible to confirm the exact time required. If a reader wishes to inquire about his reservation waiting position, he/she can browse his/her “patron information” online or provide his personal data to the pick-up library for enquiry.
- When the reserved material is available for collection at the pick-up location, a notice will be issued to reader’s postal address or email address (separate registration is required for email notification, please click here for details). Reader may also select to receive “Pick-up Notification” through the personalised alert services of the official mobile app “My Library”. The reader should make sure the registered address (postal or email) is correct before making reservation. If there is any change in the postal address, please fill in the form at the library counter, inform by written notification or update the record via the Internet. Regarding how to change the personal information, you may contact the library staff for details or refer to http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/e_update. If you need to change the email address, you can update by using the Borrow Record Enquiry page in the Internet.
- The reader should pick up and borrow the reserved material in person with the library card/HKID card (for readers who have applied for using their smart ID cards for the library services only) at the pickup location before the date specified in the notification and pay the reservation fee. He/she may also check the status of the reserved material in the Library Catalogue Terminal or Internet. If the status of the reserved material is changed to “on reservation shelf” (indicating that the material is already kept in the pick-up location), he/she may go to the pick-up location to pick up and pay for the reserved material, without the need to wait for the notification.
Any reservation made will be valid for a default period of 270 days. Reader may change the expiry date to a date ranging from two weeks to two years from the date of change via Library Catalogue Terminal or the Internet. The reservation will be automatically cancelled if the material reserved is not yet available by the expiry date.
Reservation fee of HK$3.3 will be charged for each book/material (or the prevailing valid reservation fee at the time of collection). It can be paid by Octopus Card or cash.
The reservation fee has to be paid once the reservation status is changed to “Available for pickup” or "Transit Hold", no matter whether the reader has collected the reserved material or not.