Holders of valid library cards issued by the Hong Kong Public Libraries, identity cards allowed for library purposes, or library cards/borrower's cards issued by the two former Municipal Council Public Libraries may borrow and return library materials at any public libraries in urban areas and the New Territories. Each registered reader may borrow a maximum of eight items of library books/materials together with accompanying library materials, or a maximum of sixteen items of back issues of periodicals.
If you find a book or material in the library catalogue, but fail to find it on the shelf, you may consider using the reservation service. Each registered reader can reserve a maximum of eight materials and the fee is HK$ 3.3 for each item (or the prevailing valid reservation fee at the time of collection). Please note that no reservation can be made to any reference materials or audio-visual library materials.
Procedures to apply for reservation of library books/materials are as follows：
- A reader can choose one of the following methods to reserve library books/materials and the pick-up location. The reader should make sure that his/her registered postal/email address is correct before making reservation:
- Fill in the form LCS 112 in any library or mobile library;
- Use the Library Catalogue Terminal in the library;
- Use 24-Hour reservation service via Internet at http://www.hkpl.gov.hk; ( Please click here for instructions)
- Use the official mobile application (“My Library”) of Hong Kong Public Libraries. (Please click here for details.)
Please note that a confirmation statement will be shown on the screen if the hold request has been successfully placed. Reservation cannot be made if :
- a reader has already reserved eight books/materials; or
- the outstanding fines of the reader exceeds the limit (limit for adults: HK$130; limit for juniors: HK$25); or
- the book/material requested is a reference material or an audio-visual library material.
- For any successful reservations made, the library will arrange to deliver the book/materials to the designated pick-up location as soon as possible. The duration depends on factors such as number of book copies, book status, transportation schedule among libraries etc. So it is not possible to confirm the exact time required. If a reader wishes to inquire about his reservation waiting position, he/she can browse his/her “patron information” online or provide his personal data to the pick-up library for enquiry.
- When the reserved material is available for collection at the pick-up location, a notice will be issued to reader’s postal address or email address (separate registration is required for email notification, please click here for details). The reader should make sure the registered address (postal or email) is correct before making reservation. If there is any change in the postal address, please fill in the form at the library counter, inform by written notification or update the record via the Internet. Regarding how to change the personal information, you may contact the library staff for details or refer to http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/e_update. If you need to change the email address, you can update by using the Borrow Record Enquiry page in the Internet.
- The reader should bring with the library card to the library counter to borrow and pay the reservation fee on or before the date specified in the notice. He/she may also check the status of the reserved materials in the Library Catalogue Terminal or Internet. If the status of the reserved materials is changed to “reserved” (which means the materials have been deposited in the pick-up library), he/she may go to the pick-up library to pay the reservation fee and pick up the materials.
- Collection period is about 14 days from the date of notice issued by the system (may vary depending on circumstances e.g. mail delivery time).
|Hold expiry date|
- Any reservation made will be valid for a default period of 270 days. The reservation will be automatically cancelled if the item reserved is not yet available by the hold expiry date.
- The reader may change the hold expiry date to a date ranging from two weeks to two years from the date of reservation via Library Catalogue Terminal or Internet.
- Reservation fee of HK$3.3 will be charged for each book/material (or the prevailing valid reservation fee at the time of collection). It can be paid by Octopus Card or cash.
- The reservation fee has to be paid once the reservation status is changed to "Transit Hold", no matter whether the reader has collected the reserved material or not.