I have a driving licence issued by Mainland China/other countries, can I apply for direct issue of full Hong Kong driving licence without taking a driving test?Transport Department
The direct issue mechanism is only applicable to issue of non-commercial driving licences (i.e. licences for driving private car, light goods vehicle, motor cycle or motor tricycle). A person who has a full driving licence issued by any one of the recognised countries/places (e.g. Mainland China)may apply for direct issue of a Hong Kong full driving licence of the respective vehicle class authorized to drive by the issuing country or place, without taking the driving test or passing through the 12-month probationary driving period.
Eligibility for Application
You must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for direct issue of a full driving licence –
- Aged 18 or above
- Hold an overseas driving licence issued by one of the recognised countries or places (e.g. Mainland China). Please refer to the following list for the recognised countries / places:
List of countries / places (displayed in alphabetical order)
- The overseas driving licence must be a full driving licence (Note: Probationary driving licence or international driving permit are not acceptable); and the licence must be:
- valid or has not expired for more than 3 years (from the date of application); and
- obtained through passing of driving test held in the issuing country or place.
- Satisfy any one of the requirements listed below:
- have resided in the overseas country or place of issue for a period of not less than 6 consecutive months during which the licence was issued; or
- have held the licence for 5 years or more immediately prior to the application; or
- hold a passport or equivalent travel document of the country or place in which the licence was issued.
Please produce the originals and copies of the following documents (Original or copy is accepted for address proof):
|Means of Submission|
In person to the Hong Kong (Queensway) Licensing Office. If handled by an agent, the agent should bring his / her identity document in original for record purposes.
|Validity & Fee|
For validity period & fee of driving licence, please click here
Fees are to be paid after an application is approved. Payment methods include -
|Checking Application Result|