What are the eligibility criteria of Old Age Living Allowance? What is the amount of assistance payable?Social Welfare Department
Old Age Living Allowance under the Social Security Allowance Scheme provided by Social Welfare Department (SWD) is designed to provide a monthly allowance to supplement the living expenses of Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above who are in need of financial support and having income and assets not exceeding the prescribed limits. From 1 February 2023 onwards, the amount of assistance payable per month of Old Age Living Allowance is HK$4,060.
Old Age Allowance is designed to provide a monthly allowance on a non means tested basis to Hong Kong residents who are 70 years of age or above. Please note a recipient cannot receive Old Age Living Allowance and Old Age Allowance during the same period. For details of Old Age Allowance, please click here.
An applicant is eligible for the Old Age Living Allowance if he/she:
- is aged 65 or above;
- meets the following residence requirements:
- has been a Hong Kong resident for at least seven years; and
- has resided in Hong Kong continuously for at least one year immediately before the date of application (absence from Hong Kong up to a maximum of 90 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong).
- Persons whose presence in Hong Kong is unlawful or persons who are permitted to stay in Hong Kong for a purpose other than residence (for example, imported workers or visitors) are excluded from the Scheme.
- In considering the residence requirement in (b) above, consideration can be given to disregarding absences arising from paid work or medical treatment outside Hong Kong during the one-year period, subject to there being sufficient documentary proof (and reason).
- continues to reside in Hong Kong during receipt of Old Age Living Allowance ( Please click here for information on the permissible limit of absence from Hong Kong);
- is not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA);
- is not under detention or imprisonment; and
- is having income and assets not exceeding the prescribed limits:
|Single person||Married couples|
|Total income per month (with effect from 1 Feb 2023)||$10,580||$16,080|
|Total asset value (with effect from 1 Feb 2023)||$388,000||$589,000|
(For details about income and assets limits, please refer to the section "Eligibility criteria" in Old Age Living Allowance website.)
Please click here for the application procedures of Old Age Living Allowance.
For other enquiries, please click here or contact Old Age Living Allowance Enquiry Line