What are the eligibility criteria of Old Age Allowance? What is the amount of assistance payable?Social Welfare Department
Old Age Allowance under the Social Security Allowance Scheme provided by Social Welfare Department (SWD) is designed to provide a monthly allowance to Hong Kong residents aged 70 or above to meet special needs arising from old age. The Scheme is non-means-tested. From 1 February 2024 onwards, the amount of assistance payable per month of Old Age Allowance is HK$1,620.
Old Age Living Allowance is designed to provide a special allowance per month to Hong Kong residents aged 65 or above who are having income and assets not exceeding the prescribed limits. Please note a recipient cannot receive Old Age Allowance and Old Age Living Allowance during the same period. For details of Old Age Living Allowance, please click here.
An applicant is eligible for the Old Age Allowance if he/she:
- is aged 70 or above;
- meets the following residence requirements:
- has been a Hong Kong resident for at least seven years; and
- has resided in Hong Kong continuously for at least one year immediately before the date of application (absence from Hong Kong up to a maximum of 90 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong).
- Persons whose presence in Hong Kong is unlawful or persons who are permitted to stay in Hong Kong for a purpose other than residence (for example, imported workers or visitors) are excluded from the Scheme.
- In considering the residence requirement in (b) above, consideration can be given to disregarding absences arising from paid work or medical treatment outside Hong Kong during the one-year period, subject to there being sufficient documentary proof (and reason).
- continues to reside in Hong Kong during receipt of Old Age Allowance ( Please click here for information on the permissible limit of absence from Hong Kong).
- is not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA); and
- is not under detention or imprisonment.
Please click here for the application procedures of Old Age Allowance.