What are the eligibility criteria of Old Age Allowance? What is the amount of assistance payable?Social Welfare Department
The Old Age Allowance is a monthly allowance provided by Social Welfare Department (SWD) to Hong Kong elderly residents aged 70 or above to meet special needs arising from old age. The Scheme is non-means-tested. From 1 February 2022 onwards, the amount of assistance payable per month of Old Age Allowance is HK$1,515.
An applicant is eligible for the Old Age Allowance if he/she:
- is aged 70 or above;
- meets the following residence requirements:
- has been a Hong Kong resident for at least seven years; and
- has resided in Hong Kong continuously for at least one year immediately before the date of application (absence from Hong Kong up to a maximum of 56 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong).
- Persons whose presence in Hong Kong is unlawful or persons who are permitted to stay in Hong Kong for a purpose other than residence (for example, imported workers or visitors) are excluded from the Scheme.
- In considering the residence requirement in (b) above, consideration can be given to disregarding absences arising from paid work or medical treatment outside Hong Kong during the one-year period, subject to there being sufficient documentary proof (and reason).
- continues to reside in Hong Kong during receipt of Old Age Allowance ( Please click here for information on the permissible limit of absence from Hong Kong).
- is not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA); and
- is not under detention or imprisonment.
Please click here for the application procedures of Old Age Allowance.