Application should be submitted to FEHD at least 14 days prior to the proposed date for scattering the cremated ashes.
The applicant must be the same person as the one who collected the cremated ashes as mentioned in the “Permit to take away cremated ashes”. The applicant can authorise a person to act on his or her behalf in written format. The authorised person should provide the authorisation letter when making the application.
Application for Scattering Cremated Ashes / Mounting Commemorative Plaques at Gardens of Remembrance (FEHB219)
- The completed application form;
- The original copy of the “Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” (Not applicable to those ashes still being kept in government crematoria);
- A copy of the Hong Kong Identity Card of the deceased; and
- For application of Garden of Remembrance on outlying islands, a certificate from the respective rural committee and a statutory declaration made by the legal representative or next of kin of the deceased person are required to certify the followings:
- Cheung Chau Garden of Remembrance
- The deceased should be either an indigenous villager, or a bona fide resident of Cheung Chau for a continuous residing period of not less than 10 years, or a minor child of such person, certified by Cheung Chau Rural Committee.
- Other Gardens of Remembrance on Islands District
- The deceased should be either an indigenous villager of the Islands District, or a bona fide resident of the District for a continuous residing period of at least 7 years, or a minor child of such person, certified by the respective Rural Committee.
The applicant or the authorised person should submit the application to any one of the following offices of the Cemeteries and Crematoria Section, FEHD.
For application made by fax, post or e-form, FEHD will contact the applicant to arrange for the return of the original copy of the “Permit to Take Away Cremated Ashes” upon receipt of the form.
It is free of charge to scatter cremated ashes in Gardens of Remembrance.
The fee for mounting a commemorative plaque is $90 (excluding the costs for the purchase and installation of plaques, the commemorative plaque shall be purchased from a registered contractor, please click here for the list of registered contractor.)
Approval will be granted by FEHD normally within 10 working days from the date of receipt of a duly completed application.