Driving with an IDP issued in Hong Kong is permissible in only some countries/places.
An IDP issued in Hong Kong should be valid for driving in some countries / places, and these countries / places (Note) are Contracting States to the International Conventions concluded at Geneva on 19 September 1949. Please refer to the following list, to find out the contracting countries / places:
List of countries / places (displayed in alphabetical order)
Note: There may be differences or changes in the Contracting States policy or conditions of using an IDP to drive in the countries / places concerned, you are advised to make enquiries to the Consulates or resident offices of the countries/places concerned for details before making application for an IDP or before driving in the countries/place concerned.
If the countries / places (including the mainland China and Macau) where you intend to visit do not permit holders of IDP issued in Hong Kong to drive, please contact the Consulates or resident offices of the countries/places concerned for further enquiry. For driving in the mainland China and Macau, please call the enquiry hotline of Transport Department at 2804 2600 (This hotline is handled by 1823 Call Centre).
Validity of IDP
An IDP is valid for a year. When it is expired, the holder can only apply for a new one, because there is no renewal service.
Eligibility for Application
You must meet all of the following requirements:
- holding a HK identity card, and
- holding a valid Hong Kong full driving licence, or a Hong Kong full driving licence expired for a period of not more than 3 years.
You must submit all of the following supporting documents.
1. HK Identity Card (original / copy);
2. Two identical, new and recent photographs, with plain background, size 40mm × 50mm taken full face without headwear; and
3. Address proof (original / copy).
|Means of Submission|
1. In person to any Licensing Office.
2. By mail to Transport Department, Kwun Tong Licensing Office, P. O. Box 68115, Kowloon East Post Office, Kowloon
For application by post, the payment of fee should be settled by crossed cheque.
Depending on submission method: