Countries / places that recognise the IDP issued in Hong Kong
Currently, more than 90 countries/places recognise the IDP issued in Hong Kong. You may check the list below to find out if the country / place that you intend to visit allow holders of IDP to drive or not.
List of countries / places (displayed in alphabetical order)
Eligibility for Application
You must meet ALL of the following requirements:
1. holding a HK identity card, and
2. holding a valid Hong Kong full driving licence (licence expired for not more than 3 years is also accepted)
Points to note: Holders of Probationary Driving Licence are not eligible for the application of IDP.
Validity of IDP
- An IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue, it can be used for multiple times within the validity period. The holder has to apply for a new one when it is expired.
Points to note: Applicants may apply for a new IDP at any time even the IDP is not expired yet.
Application for International Driving Permit TD51 (PDF), you may also fill in this form online and print a filled version for submission.
You must submit all of the following supporting documents.
- The completed application form TD 51; and
- Hong Kong Identity Card (original/copy) (Please click here for the requirements of the identity proof); and
- Two identical, new and recent photographs showing the full face (Please click here for the requirements of photographs); and
- Address Proof (original/copy) (Please click here for the requirements of the address proof).
|Means of Submission|
- In person or by agent to any Licensing Office.
- You may queue at the Licensing Office directly for the application of IDP on the same day. Besides, you can book an online appointment or call 3763 8080 to reserve timeslots in the coming two weeks for the application of the IDP to save time.
- If the application is submitted by an agent, the agent is required to produce his/her own original identity document. No authorisation letter is needed.
- By post to Transport Department Kwun Tong Licensing Office, P.O. Box 68115, Kowloon East Post Office, Kowloon
- The Transport Department encourages applicants to submit the application using a registered mail to avoid losing important documents.
- For applications submitted in person to the Licensing Office, the Transport Department only accepts the following payment methods:
- Crossed cheque payable to “The Government of the HKSAR”.
- For application by post, the payment of fee should be settled by crossed cheque.