Countries / places that recognise the IDP issued in Hong Kong
Currently, more than 90 countries/places recognise the IDP issued in Hong Kong. You may check the list below to find out if the country / place that you intend to visit allow holders of IDP to drive or not.
List of countries / places (displayed in alphabetical order)
Eligibility for Application
You must meet ALL of the following requirements:
1. holding a HK identity card, and
2. holding a valid Hong Kong full driving licence (licence expired for not more than 3 years is also accepted)
Points to note: Holders of Probationary Driving Licence are not eligible for the application of IDP.
Validity of IDP
- An IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue, it can be used for multiple times within the validity period. The holder has to apply for a new one when it is expired.
Points to note: Applicants may apply for a new IDP at any time even the IDP is not expired yet.
Application for International Driving Permit TD51 (PDF), you may print a filled version for submission.
You must submit all of the following supporting documents.
- The completed application form TD 51; and
- Hong Kong Identity Card (original/copy) (Please click here for the requirements of the identity proof); and
- Two identical, new and recent photographs showing the full face (Please click here for the requirements of photographs); and
- Address Proof (original/copy) (Please click here for the requirements of the address proof).
|Means of Submission|
- In person or by agent to any Licensing Office. An appointment booking service is available on phone (Tel: 3763 8080) and the Internet. The appointment can be made 10 weeks in advance.
- After making the appoinment successfully, the applicants shall visit the Licensing Office concerned at the scheduled time.
- If the application is submitted by an agent, the agent is required to produce his/her own original identity document for record purpose. No authorisation letter is needed.
- By post to Transport Department Kwun Tong Licensing Office, P.O. Box 68115, Kowloon East Post Office, Kowloon
- The Transport Department encourages applicants to submit the application using a registered mail to avoid losing important documents.
- For applications submitted in person to the Licensing Office, the Transport Department only accepts the following payment methods:
- Crossed cheque payable to “The Government of the HKSAR”.
- For application by post, the payment of fee should be settled by crossed cheque.