What are the eligibility criteria of Guangdong Scheme / Fujian Scheme? What is the amount of assistance payable?Social Welfare Department
The Social Welfare Department (SWD) introduces the Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme under existing Social Security Allowance (SSA) Scheme to provide Old Age Allowance for eligible Hong Kong elderly people aged 65 or above who choose to reside in Guangdong (only applicable to Guangdong Scheme) or Fujian (only applicable to Fujian Scheme), to meet their special needs arising from old age.
An applicant is eligible for the Guangdong Scheme / Fujian Scheme if he/she:
- is aged 65 or above;
- meets the following residence requirements:
- has been a Hong Kong resident for at least seven years；and
- has resided in Hong Kong continuously for at least one year immediately before the date of application (absence from Hong Kong up to a maximum of 90 days during the one-year period is treated as residence in Hong Kong);
- Persons whose presence in Hong Kong is unlawful or persons who are permitted to stay in Hong Kong for a purpose other than residence (for example, imported workers or visitors) are excluded from the Guangdong Scheme and Fujian Scheme.
- In considering the residence requirement in (b) above, consideration can be given to disregarding absences arising from paid work or medical treatment outside Hong Kong during the one-year period, subject to there being sufficient documentary proof (and reason).
- continues to reside in Guangdong (only applicable to Guangdong Scheme)/Fujian (only applicable to Fujian Scheme) during receipt of the allowance;
- is not receiving any other allowances under the Social Security Allowance Scheme or Comprehensive Social Security Assistance;
- is not under detention or imprisonment;
- surrenders his/her public rental unit or delete his/ her name from the tenancy if he/she is an authorized public housing tenant;
- satisfies the age requirement:
Old Age Living Allowance applicants
Aged 65 or above
Old Age Allowance applicants
Aged 70 or above
is having an income and assets not exceeding the prescribed limits as below, if the applicant is Old Age Living Allowance applicant:
Total Monthly Income
not more than ($)
not more than ($)
From 1 February 2024 onwards, eligible elderly people will receive a monthly allowance as tabulated below:
Old Age Living Allowance
Old Age Allowance
Please click here for the application procedures of the Guangdong Scheme / Fujian Scheme and payment arrangement.