Which types of vehicle are required to be examined for the purpose of vehicle licence renewal?Transport Department
Vehicle Types Needed to be Examined
If your vehicle does not fall into the following types, the vehicle is subject to examination before the vehicle licence can be renewed:
- Motor tricycles;
- Private cars (including electrically powered) manufactured in or after 2014 (applicable to renewed vehicle licence which has been effective on 31 December 2020 or before); OR private cars (including electrically powered) manufactured in or after 2015 (for renewed vehicle licence to be effective on or after 1 January 2021) ; or
- Forklift truck (i.e. Vehicle class specified as "special purpose vehicle" and body type as "forklift truck” in the Vehicle Registration Document).
Vehicle Examination Centres
Depending on the vehicle type, the vehicle should be examined at the following centres:
- Private cars and light goods vehicles not over 1.9 tonnes are examined at Designated Car & Light Goods Vehicle Testing Centres; and
- Other types of vehicles are examined at Government Vehicle Examination Centres:
Vehicle Examination Appointment
You can make an appointment for vehicle examination at Government Vehicle Examination Centres by the following ways:
- Filling out form Application for an Examination of a Motor Vehicle, Trailer or Semi-Trailer (VE19), and then visiting the Government Vehicle Examination Centres concerned, or
- Online booking for annual vehicle examination (E-certificate is not required.)
For vehicle examination to be conducted at designated car & light goods vehicle testing centres, please contact individual centres as to whether it is necessary to make an appointment and the arrangement of appointment.
Vehicle Examination Fee
Please check the following tables:
- Examination Fees for Examinations at Government Vehicle Examination Centres
- Examination Fees for Examinations at Designated Car & Light Goods Vehicle Testing Centres
Certificate of Roadworthiness/Certificate of Fitness
If the vehicle concerned passes the examination:
- a Certificate of Roadworthiness; or
- a Certificate of Fitness,
will be issued to the registered vehicle owner. The certificate will be valid for 4 months. The registered vehicle owner shall apply for renewal of the vehicle licence before the certificate expires, and the certificate should still be valid on the effective date of the renewed vehicle licence. Otherwise, the vehicle must be examined again to obtain a new certificate.
[Example] A Certificate of Roadworthiness issued on 1 January can only be used for renewing a licence to be effective not later than 30 April. When renewing a licence which is to become effective from 1 May onwards, the certificate cannot be used as it is invalid. The vehicle has to be examined again for a new certificate.
Proceed to the renewal procedure, please click here.