Skip to main content

According to the law, if you have premises or stores selling or supplying alcohol, you will need to display the prescribed notice. What are the legal requirements on the content and format of the notice?

Tobacco and Alcohol Control Office, Department of Health

According to Part 5 of Dutiable Commodities (Liquor) Regulations (Cap. 109B), if you have premises or stores selling or supplying intoxicating liqour, you will need to display the prescribed notice in both Chinese and English as follows:

”Under the law of Hong Kong, intoxicating liquor must not be sold or supplied to a minor in the course of business.”

The prescribed notice must:

  • Be displayed in a prominent location at the premises or store, easily seen by the public, for example, above the cashier counter;
  • Be rectangular in shape with sides of at least 38cm in length and 20cm in width;
  • Be in plain and legible characters and letters; and
  • Have characters and letters with colour that contrasts with the background on which they appear.

For a sample of the prescribed notice, please refer to Annex A of the General Guidelines on the Prohibition of Sale and Supply of Intoxicating Liquor to Minors in the Course of Business.

Do you find this information useful?
Is the information sufficient?
Is it easy to get the information you want?
Other comments (Please do not provide personal data):
Last update: 9 Apr 2024
Want to learn more?

I am 1823 Chatbot. Do you have any questions for me?