Depending on your age, fill out the appropriate form(s):
- Application for new issue, renewal and addition full driving licence & driving instructor's licence - TD557 (PDF, you may also fill in this form online and print a filled version for submission)
- If an applicant aged 70 or above, should additionally submit Medical examination for an applicant of 70 years of age or more for a full or learner driving licence - TD256 (PDF)
|Means of Submission|
- In person to any Licensing Office. An appointment booking service is available on phone (Tel: 3763 8080) and the Internet. The appointment can be made 10 weeks in advance. After making the appoinment successfully, the applicants shall visit the Licensing Office concerned at the scheduled time. If the application is submitted by an agent, the agent shall produce his/her own original identity document for record purposes. [Note: If a driving licence holder being a non-permanent Hong Kong resident is approved to drive commercial vehicle (i.e. vehicles other than private car/light goods vehicle/motor cycle/motor tricycle) , he/she must submit the application in person or by agent to the licensing office];
- By mail to P.O. Box 68115, Kowloon East Post Office, Kowloon (You are strongly advised to send by registered mail to avoid loss of documents);
- By drop-in box at any Licensing Office or designated post offices in 18 districts (PDF) (no stamp is required); or
- Apply online; scanner and e-Cert are required for online application. Alternatively, licence holders can also use the 8-digit Renewal Password printed on the TD578 or TD601, together with the number of their identity document registered with Transport Department, to authenticate their identity. If you have not received the renewal password before or have lost it, you may obtain a new password by submitting an application (PDF) to the Transport Department.
Depending on the situation, you must submit the following supporting documents:
- Document of identity
- HK Identity Card/Passport (Original/Copy); and
- If a driving licence holder being a non-permanent Hong Kong resident is approved to drive commercial vehicle, he/she must produce his/her Passport (Original and Copy) to show that the applicant is not subject to any condition of stay as defined by the Immigration Department.
- Address Proof (Original/Copy); and
- If an applicant aged 70 or above, submits a medical examination report form TD256 completed by a registered medical practitioner within the last 4 months before the submission of renewal application.
|Validity & Fee|
Validity period & fee of driving licence
|Effective Date of Renewed Licence|
Depending on the time of submission:
between 4 months prior to and 15 days after the expiry date of current licence, the effective date of renewed licence will be the day immediately after the current expiry date (e.g. If the current licence expires on 29/4, the renewed licence will be effective starting from 30/4.).
15 days after the current expiry date and onwards, the issue date of renewed licence is the effective date.
Crossed cheque payable to “The Government of the HKSAR”.
For application by post / drop-in box, the payment of fee should be settled by crossed cheque.
Depending on submission method:
- In person to Licensing Office: To be issued on the same day
- Others: To be sent to applicants by registered mail within 10 working days from the date of receipt of application.