|Persons unfit to apply|
If an applicant is aged below 18 without a parent or legal guardian or is an adult aged 18 or above who has been medically certified to be unfit to make a statement on his/her own, an appointee will be appointed by the Director of Social Welfare to act on his/her behalf. Please contact the social security field units for details.
|Documents required for application|
Please return the completed application form together with photocopies of the following supporting documents:
- Any documents confirming the applicant’s identity, age and residence in Hong Kong (e.g. Hong Kong Identity Card, Birth Certificate, travel documents (with printed copy of e-Visa, if applicable) etc.)
- Bank passbook (the page showing the account name and account number) of the applicant (only sole and not joint accounts are acceptable for payment purposes) (for applicants aged 18 or above)
- The pages showing the absence record during the one-year period immediately before the application and the personal particulars in all the applicant's travel documents (e.g. Passport, HKSAR Document of Identity for Visa Purposes, etc.)
- Any previous hospitalization records or follow-up appointment slips in public hospitals/clinics to facilitate the arrangement of a medical assessment.
- The identity document of the applicant’s parent/guardian and proof of relationship with the applicant (e.g. Birth Certificate) (for applicants aged below 18)
- Bank passbook (the page showing the account name and account number) of the applicant’s parent/guardian (only sole and not joint accounts are acceptable for payment purposes) (for applicants aged below 18)
|How to apply|
- The applicant or his/her relative/friend can make an application directly to a social security field unit near to his/her place of residence by phone, by fax, by e-mail, by post, by online form or in person. An application may also be made through a referral to SWD by another government department or non-governmental organization.
- Application form and Guidance Notes can be downloaded from SWD’s homepage. Please return the completed application form together with photocopies of relevant documents to social security field unit by post or in person.
- Applicant can make an application by using the online form in the following websites:
ii) SWD's website
As soon as an application is received, an officer of SWD will make arrangements for an interview with the applicant.
- All the application procedures are to be processed in Hong Kong.
|Notification of result of application, payment method and permissible limits of absence from Hong Kong during receipt of assistance|
- After completion of investigation, a formal notification letter will be sent to the applicant.
- Disability allowance payment will be calculated from the date of receipt of the application by the Social Welfare Department (or the date of application or referral if the application is referred by another organization) or the date of eligibility, whichever is the later. Disability Allowance payment will be paid together with the transport supplement. (A monthly transport supplement is payable to Disability Allowance recipients in the age group of 12 to 64 to encourage them to participate more in activities away from home, thereby enhancing their integration into society.) Payment is usually credited to the applicant’s/guardian’s/appointee’s designated bank account once a month. Under exceptional circumstances, special delivery of cash directly to the applicant can be arranged.
- Where a Social Security Allowance recipient has resided in Hong Kong for not less than 60 days in a payment year, his/her temporary absences from Hong Kong will not affect the payment of allowance on condition that the total number of days of absence in the year does not exceed 305 days.
- If a Social Security Allowance recipient has resided in Hong Kong for less than 60 days in a payment year, he/she is not entitled to any ‘absence’ allowance in that year. In other words, he/she is eligible to receive allowance only for the periods during which he/she has resided in Hong Kong. Please click here for details.