Skip to main content

Can members of the public lodge complaints to the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department if water dripping from air-conditioner causes nuisance to other people?

Food and Environmental Hygiene Department

If you live in a building with a property management company, you may seek assistance from the property management company first in order to handle the water dripping problem promptly.


Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD) is responsible for the handling of nuisance to environmental hygiene caused by water dripping from air-conditioner *. Once nuisance caused by water dripping from air-conditioner is established, FEHD will issue Nuisance Notice to responsible party(ies).  If the problem is not solved, responsible party(ies) may be prosecuted by FEHD. Under the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance, a person shall be guilty of an offence if he allows his air-conditioner to discharge water in such a manner as to be a nuisance.  The maximum penalty is $10,000 and a daily fine of $200.


Members of the public may contact FEHD 24-hour Hotline 2868 0000 (which is handled by 1823) or complete the online form for complaints related to water dripping from air-conditioner.  If possible, please provide the time of water dripping and information of the flat causing water dripping to facilitate FEHD’s follow up actions.  FEHD will provide an interim reply within 10 calendar days upon receipt of the complaint. If a substantive reply cannot be made within 30 calendar days upon receipt of the complaint, FEHD will update the complainant on the progress.   


For information on the installation and maintenance of air-conditioner in order to prevent water dripping, please click here.


*Please note that water dripping from air-conditioner in the following areas is handled by related property management agents:

  • Public Rental Housing Estates (except food premises**):responsible by the Housing Department , phone no.:2712 2712
  • Rental Housing Estates owned by Housing Society:responsible by the management office of the concerned estate

**Food premises include restaurants, food factories, fresh provision shops, bakeries, factory canteens, siu mei and lo mei shops, frozen confection factories, milk factories, cold stores and composite food shops.

Do you find this information useful?
Is the information sufficient?
Is it easy to get the information you want?
Other comments (Please do not provide personal data):
Last update: 14 Mar 2024
Want to learn more?

I am 1823 Chatbot. You can ask me a question!